Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Grimsby Town Football Club Academy app


Under 18's - Match centre

F.C Dordrecht
Grimsby Town Football Club Academy
Sat 4 Aug 15:00 - Friendly Full time

Young Mariners Defeat the Schapenkoppen


GTFC U18's 7 - 0 F.C. Dordrecht Academy

The GTFC U18’s played their first match of their Pre-season tour of the Netherlands with a match against Dutch 2nd division side, F.C. Dordrecht, yesterday. It was a hot day, but that didn’t stop the Young Mariners from getting into the game with and early goal, courtesy of last season’s top scorer, RUMARN BURRELL, who rounded the keeper and slotted the ball in from a very tight angle. The Town youngsters continued to push on following the goal, with crosses being launched in by Tom Jamieson and Joe Starbuck without success. F.C. Dordrecht came into the game more following the goal, with some nice passing around the back and up through the midfield but they struggled to get past midfielders, Kyle Richardson and Jock Curran. The Young Mariners eventually won a corner and played it short to Joe Starbuck, whose shot was blocked well by a F.C. Dordrecht defender.

The Dordrecht keeper found himself caught in possession when he was played a back pass, and Rumarn Burrell managed to win the ball in the 18 yard box with a neat tackle. He then squared the ball to BRANDON BUCKLEY who then slotted the ball past the two defenders trying to cover on the line to make the score 2 – 0 to GTFC U18’s. Straight after kick off, Town continued to push with a darting run from Ollie Saunders and a pin point pass through to Joe Starbuck, putting him one on one with the keeper, but his shot went wide. Dordrecht managed to win a free kick, but it deflected off the wall and was easily gathered by Oliver Battersby. F.C. Dordrecht went on to win a corner, which Mattie Pollock deftly cleared away, the ball eventually found Joe Starbuck, who darted down the right hand side of the pitch, playing a ball to Tom Jamieson, but couldn’t quite get on the end of the through ball in time.

After a quick water break we continued to push, with a good ball from Joe Starbuck in behind the F.C. Dordrecht defence playing through TOM JAMIESON, who slotted it past the keeper making the score 3 – 0. As time ran out in the first half, Town kept possession of the ball, maintaining their 3 – 0 lead at the half time break.

HALF TIME: F.C. Dordrecht 0 – 3 GTFC U18’s

The Town XI was unchanged in the second half, and within the first minute, RUMARN BURRELL managed to tackle the F.C. Dordrecht keeper, following a poor back pass, and slotted it into an empty net making the score 4 – 0. Shortly after the restart, F.C. Dordrecht played a dangerous long ball over the top, but some great positioning by Conley Poynter meant the ball was intercepted and kicked out of play for a Dordrecht throw in. After some more dangerous play from Dordrecht, Town regained the ball back and pushed up, winning a corner. From the corner, Brandon Buckley played a ball in to Mattie Pollock, who headed it straight at the keeper. After this, another good run by Kyle Richardson ended with him hitting a shot with his left foot just over the bar. Neil Woods made two changes in personnel before the goal kick, with Lennon Stead coming on for Brandon Buckley and Deji Owoeye coming on to replace Rumarn Burrell.

After a good spell of possession, more substitutes were made with Cameron Painter replacing Jock Curran, Lewis Derrick replacing Kyle Richardson and Brandon McPherson replacing Joe Starbuck. Shorty after coming on, two of the three substitutes made an instant impact when the ball was played through to Deji Owoeye, who ran through a 1 on 1 with the keeper and squared it to BRANDON MCPHERSON who slotted it into an empty net making the score 5 – 0. Dordrecht started to pile on the pressure following the restart, winning a free kick just on the edge of the 18 yard box, with little coming of it. Shortly after a water break in the second half, Dordrecht had some dangerous play down the Town left hand side with a player running to the byline and cutting the ball back, but Ollie Battersby managed to collect the ball at the near post.

As time in the second half continued, both teams had opportunities, with none leading to goals. More substitutes were made to reinvigorate the Town side, with Jock Curran coming back on after Lewis Derrick picked up a knock and Kyle Richardson coming back on to replace Ollie Saunders. Another great ball through from Jock Curran split the F.C. Dordrecht defence, and led to DEJI OWOEYE being 1 on 1 with the keeper, slotting it past him making the score 6-0. In the dying moments of the game, a big diagonal ball from Mattie Pollock and a splendid cross in from Kyle Richardson lead to DEJI OWOEYE slotting away his second for the game. The game ending shortly after with the score at 7 – 0, a great start for the Mariners in Holland as they head to face Vitesse Arnhem on Tuesday.

FULL TIME: F.C. Dordrecht 0 – 7 GTFC U18’s

1. O Battersby
2. T Jamieson
3. C Poynter
4. J Curran
5. E Powles
6. M Pollock
7. J Starbuck
8. K Richardson
9. R Burrell
10. B Buckley
11. O Saunders

12. L Stead
14. D Owoeye
15. L Derrick
16. C Painter
17. B McPherson

NEXT GAME: vs Vitesse Arnhem, Tuesday 7th August

Article Co-Written with Joey Hope and Hugo Banks

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments


Club sponsors